29 December, 2005

Forest Ranger

My freshman year of highschool I took one of those ridiculous tests that's supposed to help you find a career. I believe this one was called the "PLAN" test. At the time I was rather eager to see my results. The day finally came (a month after taking the test) that the results came in. I was in for a major disappointment. My scores weren't so bad, it was just the surprise that the career wheel (I believe that's what it was called) had in store for me. It suggested I be a forest ranger. Now being a budding youth, this didn't sound all too appealing to me. Especially considering all my friends were given interesting careers like athletic coach or scientist (that was interesting to me at that point in my life). Now I think the reason I was given that career was because I fell asleep during the reading portion of the test. But right now sitting in God's creation for 8-10 hours a day all alone would suit me well. This is all part of my budding introversion. Which is why I'm surprised I'm working at the Palace. For about two hours straight each night I work there I'm attacked by literally thousands of angry people trying to find a parking spot. Yes, those two hours are torture. But the time before that and after that is simply divine! Very often I'm alone and am given the opportunity to just "be still." It's very cathartic. *winks at erin* In fact, I'd say it's necessary for us all. Think of all the times when we're in the car alone. What's the first thing we do? Turn on the radio. Why? Because we hate that silence. Because we know what that silence demands. So we fill it-- with noise. What is noise (for your speech teachers out there)? It's just distraction from the point of focus. In this case distraction away from God. In our culture it's so easy for us to lose our focus. Sometimes I literally feel like Peter on the waves-- especially lately. I want to get out of the boat, and I do. But then all of a sudden I see how scary it is out here. I do believe, but Lord help my unbelief! It is a vicious cycle because of our flesh-- because of my flesh. In these times I must sit down, shut up, and let God speak to me. So this is what I will do.

I'm listening to music right now. How pathetic am I?

1 comment:

elea said...

first of all: forest rangers rock!
second: i'm glad to hear of your desire for faith.
third: i got your text message, and i haven't had any time to listen as of yet...i will try to get to it...